Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A Roben Ryberg recipe for a substitute that can be used in any recipe call for one (10 3/4 ounce) can of cream of chicken soup. Cna be made in advance and stored in the fridge for a couple of days. For Aussies, Massell brand stock cubes are gluten-free. This recipe is intended for a substitute to be used in recipes and not for a stand-alone soup
- 2 ounces boneless chicken (any kind of pieces)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 7 teaspoons cornstarch or 7 teaspoons potato starch
- 1 gluten-free chicken bouillon cube
- Finely chop the chicken and place in a small saucepan with the butter. Cook over a medium heat until the chicken is tender- approx 5 minutes.
- Using a cup- Combine the remaining ingredients in a cup and stir to dissolve the starch. Be sure that the bouillion cube is totally smashed. Add to the pot.
- While stirring, bring the pot to the boil and allow the mixture to thicken.
- Can be used in any recipe calling for condensed chicken soup.
This was SO FAST AND EASY! I used half cream and half water in place of the milk, and tapioca starch. I haven't used it in the recipe yet, but I tasted it, and the taste and texture are quite similar to the stuff that comes out of those cans.
My wife is on a gluten free diet and it is difficult to find "cream of" most any kind of soup without wheat in it. I did some searching and this recipe is better than any canned we have ever used. We made it without the chicken chunks and it was great. The next time, we'll put chicken in it!!
Very happy with the results. I am glad to find a substitute for cream of chicken soup since I can't have dairy.