Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is to be used for substituting when a recipe calls for condensed cream of chicken soup. Make a large batch of the powdered mix and store in your pantry so you have it on hand when needed. The powedered mix below will make 4.5 cans of condensed soup or 9 cans of regular soup. To make regular soup, simply cut the amount of powedered mix in half when cooking. This recipe is based on Bette Hagman's Cream Soup Base.
Powdered Soup Mix
- 1 cup non-instant powdered milk (or nondairy substitute, Enfamil LactoFree LIPIL works well)
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons herb ox instant chicken bouillon granules
Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 cup cold water (or chicken stock)
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (with liquid)
- 1 cup water or 1 cup chicken stock
- For 1 can of condensed cream soup: In a saucepan, whisk 8 tablespoons of Powdered Soup Mix with 1/4 cup cold water. Follow either step 2 or 3 to make the equivalent of 1 can of condensed cream of chicken or mushroom soup. (To make regular soup, not condensed, simply use 4 tablespoons of the powdered soup mix.).
- CONDENSED CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP: Add 1 cup of water and cook over medium high heat until soup thickens, stirring frequently.
- CONDENSED CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP: Pour liquid from canned mushrooms into a measuring cup and add water to measure 1 cup. Add liquid to saucepan and cook over medium high heat until soup thickens, stirring frequently. After soup has thickened, stir in mushrooms.
Wonderful, very tasty recipe. The only difficulty I'm having is that when I use it in a casserole it tends to harden too much. Any suggestions?
This works great in recipes! I use it all of the time. It does get a little salty if you use chicken stock instead of water. Maybe buy low-sodium bouillon and don't add the extra salt. You can always add salt to taste later. I tried substituting powdered rice milk to make this non-dairy. It works okay but I didn't like the taste. It had a sweet taste to it. <br/> It's great to make a batch to have on hand when needed. I think the cream of mushroom version tastes so much better in recipes than a can of Campbell's.
I am incredibly excited about this recipe! Thank you Emily for making my life easier. I discovered I had to eat gluten free last year and now my 17 yr old daughter has been told the same thing by her doc. So many of my "go-to" recipes called for cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup. I spent a ridiculous amount ordering a case of gf cream of mushroom only to find it was terrible and way to strong. You have answered my prayers with this one! I just used it to make Crock Pot White Chicken Chili Crock Pot White Chicken Chili, and it turned out fabulous! Can't wait to make Pot roast next :)