Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from Red Jacket Orchards owner Marilyn Nicholson...so easy and delicious.
- 4 cups stemmed and washed concord grapes
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 (9 inch) pastry dough, plus extra for lattice topping
- Slip grape pulp from skins into a bowl and reserve the skins.
- Cook pulp until the seeds loosen slightly, thn press through a collander or food mill to remove seeds.
- Combine the resulting pulp with the skins, sugar, juice and tapioca.
- Fill the pie shell and cover with lattice pastry.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees, then lower to 350 degrees and bake 20 minutes more.
Not enough tapioca for thickening this pie....probably should read 2-3 tablespoon as that is standard with juicy fruits that are used for pie
Well, I'm not going to rate this because I think there may be something wrong with the recipe. I followed the instructions exactly and the pie was very liquidy even after cooking for an additional 25 minutes. The crust was golden and it looked pretty set in the middle, but when I cut into it, it was like a river. It was, however, very tasty and we ate it despite the consistency. The crust was done completely, which made me very happy because there is nothing worse than gooey pie crust that is undercooked. Hopefully I can try this again with better results next time.