Recipe by English_Rose
Conchiglioni are large pasta shells which are great for chunky sauces as it gets trapped inside! If you prefer you can use another chunky pasta shape - rigatoni would equally work well. Serve with a green salad and garlic bread.
- 12 ounces jumbo pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 10 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2⁄3 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 5 ounces mozzarella cheese, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta shells in boiling salted water for 15 mins or according to packet instructions. Drain, then tip into an ovenproof dish.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large frying pan, add the mushrooms and sauté over high heat for 6-8 mins, stirring occasionally until nicely browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan, add the beef, onion and garlic and cook over a high heat for 5 mins until browned. Add the red wine, tomato paste, oregano and plenty of seasoning then bring to the boil, stirring well. Simmer for 4 mins or until reduced. Add the half and half and mushrooms and simmer for a further 5 mins until nicely reduced.
- Spoon the beef over the pasta shells, then stir well so that it fills the pasta. Scatter over the cheeses and pop under a hot broiler. Cook for 3 mins or until the top is golden brown. Serve straight away.