Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Directly from the Moosewood cookbook--no shortcuts. A family favorite.
Make and share this Conchiglie Tutto Giardino "shells With the Whole Garden recipe from Food.com.
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup radish, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, packed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 medium tomatoes (about 3 cups chopped)
- 3 cups zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine (more if desired)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup light cream
- 6 ounces tomato paste (one of those small cans)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shell pasta
- Melt 6 tbs butter in large saucepan and add the carrots, both onions, radishes, parsley, basil, and garlic. Saute the vegetables, stirring often, until they begin to color--about 20 minutes. Cover the saucepan and simmer the vegetables for another 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, zucchini, bell pepper, wine, salt, pepper, and sugar. Simmer the sauce, uncovered, for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- In a small pot, melt 1 tbs butter and stir in the flour. Cook the roux for a few minutes over very low heat, stirring constantly. Heat the cream and stir it into the roux with a whisk. Add the tomato paste and whisk the mixture until it is perfectly smooth. Stir it into the vegetables and wine, along with the grated parmesan cheese.
- Continue simmer the sauce over low heat, stirring often, until it is as thick as you want it to be.
- Cook the shell pasta (conchiglie) in a large kettle of boiling salted water until they are al dente, drain them completely, and pour them into a large, heated serving dish. Ladle as much of the sauce over them as you like, toss them, and serve immediately, with more grated parmesan cheese.