1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Dulcet Kitchen's Note:
Directly from the Moosewood cookbook--no shortcuts. A family favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup radish, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, packed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 medium tomatoes (about 3 cups chopped)
- 3 cups zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine (more if desired)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup light cream
- 6 ounces tomato paste (one of those small cans)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 lbs shell pasta
- 1Melt 6 tbs butter in large saucepan and add the carrots, both onions, radishes, parsley, basil, and garlic. Saute the vegetables, stirring often, until they begin to color--about 20 minutes. Cover the saucepan and simmer the vegetables for another 15 minutes.
- 2Add the tomatoes, zucchini, bell pepper, wine, salt, pepper, and sugar. Simmer the sauce, uncovered, for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 3In a small pot, melt 1 tbs butter and stir in the flour. Cook the roux for a few minutes over very low heat, stirring constantly. Heat the cream and stir it into the roux with a whisk. Add the tomato paste and whisk the mixture until it is perfectly smooth. Stir it into the vegetables and wine, along with the grated parmesan cheese.
- 4Continue simmer the sauce over low heat, stirring often, until it is as thick as you want it to be.
- 5Cook the shell pasta (conchiglie) in a large kettle of boiling salted water until they are al dente, drain them completely, and pour them into a large, heated serving dish. Ladle as much of the sauce over them as you like, toss them, and serve immediately, with more grated parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Conchiglie Tutto Giardino "shells With the Whole Garden
Serving Size: 1 (359 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 486.6
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 41.6 mg
- Sodium 776.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 14.4 g