1/10 Photos of Conchas (Mexican Sweet-Topped Buns)
3 hrs 20 mins
Karen From Colorado's Note:
Concha means shell. Prep time is also part of the rise time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105 degrees F to 115 degrees F or 40 to 46 celsius)
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk (scalded, then cooled)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2-4 cups all-purpose flour
Flavored Topping Dough
- 1Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl.
- 2Stir in milk, sugar, butter, salt, egg and 2 cups of the flour.
- 3Beat until smooth.
- 4Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- 5Turn onto a lightly floured surface.
- 6Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- 7Place in a large greased bowl, then turn greased side up.
- 8Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 9The dough is ready if it leaves an indentation when touched.
- 10Meanwhile, prepare Flavored Topping Dough.
- 11Punch dough down; divide into 12 equal pieces.
- 12Shape each piece into a ball; place on greased cookie sheet.
- 13Flavored Topping Dough.
- 14Beat sugar and margarine until light and fluffy.
- 15Stir in flour until mixture is the consistency of thick paste.
- 16Divide into 3 equal parts.
- 17Stir cinnamon into one part, vanilla extract into one part and orange peel into one part.
- 18Divide each part of dough into 4 equal pieces.
- 19Pat each piece into a 3-inch circle.
- 20Place 1 circle of Topping Dough on each ball of dough, shaping it down over the ball.
- 21Make 5 or 6 cuts across the topping, using a table knife, to form a shell pattern.
- 22Cover and let rise until double — about 40 minutes.
- 23Heat oven to 375 degrees F (190 celsius).
- 24Bake buns until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Conchas (Mexican Sweet-Topped Buns)
Serving Size: 1 (1082 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.4
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 285.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 5.6 g