Buster's friend's Note:
This is a tomato-based chowder with a slight smoky flavor thick with diced potato and conch (available in Miami at Omar Seafood, 2111 NW 10th Ave., near 20th Street, 305-545-5741). If fresh conch is not available, use frozen conch ( fresh & frozen available in US from www.angelfire.com/fl5/cfarmsllc/ ). Serve with cornbread or spoon over rice. Happily found in the Miami Herald said to be adapted from Culinaria The Caribbean by Rosemary Parkinson, (Konemann, 1999).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup salt pork, finely diced or 1/4 cup bacon
- 2 yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded and diced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced crosswise
- 1 lb tomatoes, ripe or 2 large tomatoes or 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes with juice
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 6 conch, pounded with a meat hammer and diced (thawed if frozen)
- 1 lb potato, peeled and diced (about 4 medium red-skinned)
- black pepper, freshly ground to taste
- hot sauce (try a nice Bahamian one if you can)
- 1 dash sherry wine (optional)
- 1In a 4-quart heavy saucepan, fry the salt pork until golden brown.
- 2Add onions, garlic, thyme, bell peppers and celery to the pot. Cook over medium-high heat until the vegetables are soft, stirring frequently, about 4 to 5 minutes and add the tomatoes and tomato paste, stirring well.
- 3Add the diced conch and potatoes with 2 cups of water and bring the mixture to a boil. Add sufficient water to cover the mixture (amount depends on the size of the pot), and simmer over low heat about 25 minutes, adding water if necessary.
- 4Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Add hot sauce to taste (or serve it on the side). Add a splash of sherry at the end of cooking for zest, if you wish.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Conch Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.1
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 161.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: