Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Once upon a time, milk and harbour conch were abundant in Hamilton Harbour. That was before regular cruise ship arrivals. Today, conch are among the many protected species in Bermuda. (Taken from the Spirit of Bermuda Cookbook.)
- 1 lb queen conch, chopped (thawed and tenderised by smacking with meat mallet)
- 2 cups clam broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tomatoes (blanched, peeled,seeded and chopped)
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large potato, random diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons rum (Goslings Black Seal if possible)
- sherry pepper sauce
- In a heavy-bottomed pot large enough to hold all the ingredients, simmer the conch in the clam juice and water for an hour.
- Add the wine, onions, tomatoes, celery, carrots, potatoes, parsley and peppers and simmer another hour.
- Add the thyme, heavy cream, rum, salt and white pepper to taste.
- Before serving, add a few dashes of sherry peppers sauce.