Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I liked the title of this cake, and it looks so good! This is from The Recipe Hall of Fame Cookbook. The introduction to this recipe says this cake should be kept in a vault!
- 2 cups sifted Swans Down cake flour
- 2 teaspoons calumet baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (or shortening)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks, beaten until thick and lemon-colored
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
luscious lemon frosting
- 3 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 dash salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sift flour once, measure, add baking powder and sift together 3 times.
- Cream butter thoroughly, adding sugar gradually and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks and beat well.
- Add flour alternately with milk, a small amount at a time.
- Add extract.
- Beat well.
- Bake in 2 greased 9" layer pans in moderate oven (375) 25-30 minutes.
- Spread Luscious Lemon Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Double recipe to make 3 10" layers.
- Directions for Luscious Lemon Frosting:.
- Add orange rind and salt to butter.
- Cream well.
- Add part of sifted sugar gradually, blending after each addition.
- Combine lemon juice and water.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with remaining sugar until of right consistency to spread.
- Beat after each addition until smooth.
- Makes enough frosting to cover tops and sides of 2 9" layers.
- For a deeper yellow frosting, tint with yellow food coloring.