Recipe by BecR
A tasty and attractive composed salad of dilled tuna, capers, green onions and cucumber-- the perfect summer lunch! Easy to make. Serve chilled with crisp whole wheat crackers or a baguette, and perhaps a nice glass of chardonnay.
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
Wow! I can't believe this hasn't been reviewed yet. It's a seriously sophisticated tuna salad, but without much more work than a classic tuna salad. I'm still reeling from the flavors here. The lemon and cucumber were a refreshing compliment to the tuna, while the capers and dill brought the flavors home. We found ourselves making little mini sandwiches with a slice of cucumber, a carrot curl, tuna salad and our whole grain crackers. DS also tried it on bread and liked it that way as well. Thanks for sharing, Becky! I'll look forward to making this again. Made and enjoyed for Topic of the Month forum's Seafood Tag Game. :)
- 12 ounces chunk light tuna, very well drained
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions, divided use
- 2 teaspoons tiny nonpareil capers, divided use
- salt and pepper
- fresh dill
- 1 medium fresh cucumber, thinly sliced but not peeled
- carrot curls, for garnish
- crisp whole wheat crackers or baguette, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, stir together the tuna (be sure that it is very well drained), mayonnaise, lemon juice, finely chopped dill, 1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onions, and 1 teaspoon finely chopped capers. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill until serving time.
- Make carrot curls: use a vegetable peeler to slice off thin strips of carrot; plunge the carrots into ice water to curl. Drain before using.
- For each serving, place the tuna mixture into a small rounded bowl and pack down with a rubber spatula.
- Overturn the bowl onto a salad plate and lift it away.
- Create a border with fanned cucumber slices, tuck in a few sprigs of fresh dill topped with carrot curls and slices of green onion.
- Stud the tuna salad mound with a few whole capers and sliced green onions, and top with a slice of cucumber and sprig of fresh dill.
- Serve with crisp whole wheat crackers or a baguette.