Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Old recipe; directions are written as recipe given; sweet pickle alum is used.
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 gallons water
- 8 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 teaspoons alum
- Cut cucumbers lengthwise.
- Add 1 heaping tablespoon salt for each quart of water; let stand overnight.
- Place in kettle and cover with weak solution on 1 cup vinegar to1 gallon water; heat to simmer.
- Meanwhile, in another pot, make a syrup of 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup water,
- 2 cups sugar, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric.
- Boil for 10 minutes.
- When pickles have simmered 10 minutes, drain and put into clean jars.
- Add 2 slices onion and 1/4 teaspoon alum to each jar.
- Cover with boiling syrup before sealing; seal.