More complicated than your normal chocolate chip cookie....but the result is well worth it. Every new member needs their special indulgence type recipe, and this is mine. Note that I tend to improvise, so the exactness of the amounts is questionable.. just don't go over 2 tsp on the cornstarch. These cookies are delectable warmed in the microwave or dipped in milk.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 -1 1⁄4 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Whisk together cornstarch, flours, soda and salt.
- Melt the butter completely, but do not burn it, in the microwave or in a saucepan.
- Cream the butter extremely thoroughly with all three sugars. Cream until you can cream no more.
- Add egg and egg yolk, beat for an excessive time again.
- Add vanilla (yes, that really is a tablespoon) and milk, if using. Again, cream together thoroughly.
- Add flour mixture slowly, stirring together. Add more all-purpose flour if the dough is liquidy, but it shouldn't be as firm as a traditional cookie dough.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Chill for 2-4 hours or until quite firm.
- Drop by scant 1/4 cups or by a cookie dropper onto greased baking sheets, bake in your 375° oven for about 13-16 minutes, until done puffing and pale golden brown.
- Do yourself a favor and eat one warm.