This is just a made-up recipe that uses up leftover chicken and my whole family likes. It vaguely resembles burritos....
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 large onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (leftover roast chicken is great for this)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa (as hot or mild as you like)
- 10 tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded or 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- Cut the bell pepper into thin strips. Slice the onion into strips as well. Heat the oil to medium-high in a largish pan or wok, and toss in the pepper, onion, and mushrooms. Fry until the onion begins colour through.
- Toss the chicken and stir it around until it's well mixed with the other ingredients. Then dump in the jar of salsa. Stir it all around again, put a lid on it, and turn the heat down to medium low. Leave it for about 5 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Take the lid off. If it's really saucy, leave the lid off for a couple of minutes to let the excess moisture dissipate.
- Prepare the burritos by putting about a 1/2 cup portion of the meat mixture in the upper centre of a tortilla (this will depend on your appetite and the size of your tortilla!). Top with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream. Fold over left side of the tortilla over the filling, fold up the bottom, then roll towards the unfolded side.
I was quite impressed with this super simple recipe. I made roast chicken for DH's B-day and this was a perfect use for the left overs. I'm not real sure that I'd use the mushrooms next time but that's just me and I'm sure that most folks will love them in this. They do hit the spot very well when you want a yummy quick lunch or as part of a Tex-Mex styled dinner. DO use your favorite salsa as it's really the main flavor. I loved them :D. Made for PAC, Spring '10.