Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Not your usual tuna or egg salad, this can be enjoyed as is, in a sandwich, on top of greens, or any other way that sounds good to you. If you want to add a touch of mayo for creaminess, go ahead- but it's plenty good without! You can change up the ingredients to suit what you have on hand, or what you like- chopped pickles instead of capers, oil packed tuna instead of water packed, different herbs, shallot instead of green onion... This is just how I first made it based on what was in my kitchen.
- 1 (5 ounce) can tuna in water, well drained
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon red bell pepper, diced fine
- 1 green onion, white and green parts chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Combine tuna, eggs, capers, pepper, onion and tarragon gently in a bowl.
- Whisk together vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in another small bowl.
- Fold the dressing into the tuna mixture. Taste for seasoning, and add more salt or pepper as needed.
- Chill for 1 hour for flavors to combine, then serve.
This is very different and very good. I made 100% as per recipe and I really like the interesting combination of flavours. Good protein meal.
Different take on the tuna salad, for sure. I liked it very much. I added some parsley and had to use dried tarragon, as that is all I had on hand. I had this for lunch, as is, with some crackers. Made for Spring Photo Tag 2012. :)