Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
The dough for these meat pies is rich, tender & slightly sweet. They are filled with ground beef, cabbage & onions. They are excellent as road food & brown bag lunches. Wrap individually in foil to freeze.
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 ounce dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lb ground round
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Heat milk, water & butter to 120-130 degrees F.
- Put 2 Cups flour, sugar, yeast & salt in large bowl.
- Pour milk mixture over flour mixture & add eggs. Mix until blended, then work in remaining flour.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface & knead lightly for 3 minutes. Shape into ball, oil surface lightly & cover.
- Let rise until double.
- Meanwhile, season ground round with salt & pepper to taste & brown in large pot.
- Add cabbage, onion & garlic with small amount of oil or water if needed. Cook until cabbage is soft. Cool.
- When dough is risen, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Divide dough into 12 equal portions.
- On floured surface, roll 1st ball into 10 inch circle.
- Place 1/2 Cup meat mixture on edge of circle. Fold into half moon shape & pinch edges to seal tightly.
- Place on greased baking sheet. Continue rolling & filling until all dough is used.
- Let runzas rest for 10 minutes then prick each with a fork & bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven & brush with melted butter.