Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
It just doesn't get much easier than this fool-proof rice sidedish. It won't look like much when it goes in the oven, but trust me, it comes out perfect every time. I've been making it for holiday dinners for years. It takes 5 minutes or less to throw together and can go in the oven with those other last minute dishes or prepare it ahead and reheat in the microwave at serving time if oven space is a problem. Note: The original recipe called for 1/2 cup butter but I found that to be excessive.
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can French onion soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place rice, uncooked, in a baking dish.
- Pour in soups, add water chestnuts.
- Cut butter into chunks and drop onto soups.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until it is bubbling and top has browned.
Easy recipe to throw together and forget about while it's baking. I used canned mushrooms instead of the water chestnuts. Would work well as a side with most anything - especially good with beef.
My husband and I did not care for this rice. We like everything that went into it, just didn't like how it tasted together I guess. We froze the leftovers (hate to be wasteful) and ended up using some in a casserole. It did freeze very well and the casserole was great, so I'm not sure why we didn't enjoy this, sorry!
This was GREAT! I made according to the recipe, with the exception of slicing up a few fresh mushrooms and adding them. SUPER yummy. Will be making again. Thanks for posting!