Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I like to make this for family get-togethers. It's nice because you can make it up ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until you're ready to cook. In fact, I think it tastes better if you do!
- 1 lb dry ziti pasta
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, for boiling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for frying
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) package provolone cheese, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- 4 green onion tops, diced
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Grease a large deep casserole dish or lasagna pan. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, adding 1 t kosher salt and 1 t olive oil. Add pasta and cook 8 minutes. Pasta should still be firm. Drain.
- Fry onion, garlic, ground beef and Italian sausage in remaining olive oil over medium high heat until browned. (Remove casings from sausage first.) Add spaghetti sauce and reduce heat to low. Add salt if needed.
- In prepared dish or pan, layer half the cooked pasta, all the provolone, all the sour cream, and all the ricotta. Sprinkle a tiny pinch of salt over the ricotta and some fresh ground pepper to taste. Next, Layer all the green onions, and half the meat sauce. Next layer the remaining pasta, all the mozzarella, the remaining meat sauce and top with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 35 minutes, or until cheeses have melted. (If you have it layered in a smaller, deep casserole dish, it will take longer to cook than if you have it layered in a more shallow larger lasagna pan.).
This is a very flavorful, hearty meal for a large family or family/company gathering. It was fairly easy to make and delicious. This is a nice change from lasagna.
excellent dish. i mixed the ziti with some of the sauce to make sure it was well-coated. had to use plain yogurt cuz i was out of sour cream, but it was still yummy. this is also a perfect dish to take to potlucks.
Very Good. I made this without any of the meat and it came out great. Much better than traditional baked Ziti. Thanks for a great recipe, I'll definately be making this again!