Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love tweaking 50's Comfort Food, so when I knew that I was having friends over for dinner, I wanted to upgrade Chicken Pot pie for all those jaded palates. This is extremely easy to put together, as half of it is ready-made products and the other half is scratch. Make the sauce early in the day, let the flavours mingle and then pop it in the oven when you're ready. The Pillsbury Grand biscuits held up SO well, that leftovers the following day were as exceptional as when originally served!
- 1 whole chicken, precooked (I only use the white meat, saving the dark for Ramen soups)
- 1 yellow onion, minced (2-3 inch)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) packageexotic mushrooms (or anything BUT Button Mushrooms)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (6 -8 ounce) package frozen vegetables (I use peas, corn, green beans, carrots and lima bean mixture)
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup merlot (NOT White! wine)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (3-inch)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (2-inch)
- 1 sprig oregano, 3 inch (I buy herb "packs" for $2.99 that contain all of these herbs together. They last for over 2 weeks so)
- 1 (8 count) packagepillsbury grand flakey biscuits
- 1 tablespoon of crushed Italian spices
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- Place chopped onions, garlic and exotic mushroom mixture into a large 12" skillet with butter, cover, and heat over low heat until the onions are transparent.
- Meanwhile, tear apart the chicken, tearing the pieces into bite-sized bits. If you like dark meat, include it, but I save it for flavouring instant soups. That means I use 2-3 cups of White Meat for the recipe.
- When onion/garlic/mushroom mixture is softened, add chicken, cream of chicken soup, the sour cream, milk, wine, herbs and frozen vegetables to skillet. If you plan on making this NOW, heat until very hot, but not boiling. If you plan on having it later, heat until just warm and flavours are allowed to mingle, then stick mixture in frig, in skillet.
- When you're ready to make this, spray an 11" x 7" oven-proof pan with non-stick spray. Heat oven to 375 degrees or what biscuit directions state on package. Heat mixture until very hot, pour into casserole dish.
- Melt butter in a deep bowl with Italian Seasonings. Open package of rolls and place on top of chicken mixture. Brush rolls with the melted butter/herb mixture.
- Bake in oven for 15-25 minutes until ROLLS ARE DONE and mixture is bubbling. My baking time was 18 minutes.
- Scoop one biscuit out onto deep bowl or rimmed plate and spoon chicken sauce either around it or directly over it.
I made this recipe Friday night and wasn't too sure about the Red Merlot wine, but after I tasted it for dinner that night and then again for lunch on saturday and dinner on sunday, I was hooked. This was really very simple to put together. Very Yummy indeed!!! My son and his fiance finished it off, so I will have to make it again just so I can have leftovers for myself. Thanks for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2009. Litldarlin