Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight if you like, then baked the next day. Great for a weekend when you have lots of stuff going on!
- 453.59 g sausage (I use Jimmy Dean)
- 680.38 g frozen hash browns, with onion and peppers
- 6 eggs
- 473.18 ml milk
- 4.92 ml ground mustard
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1 tsp.black pepper
- 0.25 ml hot sauce (optional)
- 226.79 g cheddar cheese, shredded (more for the topping if desired)
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Brown the sausage, drain. I like to put it in a food processor and hit pulse a few times, I don't like the larger pieces but don't go so far as to make a paste!
- Whisk the eggs and seasonings in a bowl,.
- add milk.
- Spray a 9x13" pan with cooking spray.
- Layer the ingredients as follows; all the sausage, then a layer of cheese, then half the bag of hash browns, then the cheese and the rest of the hash browns. Pour the egg/milk/ seasonings mixture over all.
- Cover with foil bake for one hour, check for doneness, mine usually take a bit longer, but everyone's oven is different.
- When done top with more shredded cheese and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve with fruit salad for a delightful brunch!
I pre-mixed this late last night, and let it sit in fridge over night to bake this morning. This turned out just lovely! I followed the recipe exactly, and I would not change a thing. I used a 1# tube of 'regular' Jimmy Dean sausage (although I thought about trying a flavored one). This makes a ton... but that's okay. Our neighbors across the street just got home very last night from their trip to China (which is why I prepped this at midnight). We had them and our other 2 neighbors all over for breakfast this morning, and we still have leftovers (now hubby can just 'nuke' a couple slices tomorrow morning to eat on his way to work)! I'm thinking this would be great for a Mothers' Day Brunch... HMMMM? Thank you for posting a very easy and delicious breakfast entree.
Nice breakfast casserole and so great that you can assemble it the day before you plan to serve it. I made 1/4 of the recipe, used Jimmy Dean sausage, 1 regular egg and the rest used "Egg Beaters", a combo of cheddar and Monterey Jack, "Simply Hash Browns" and I added my own chopped onion and red bell pepper. I did add the optional hot sauce, and did a couple of dashes, but I couldn't even tell it was in the casserole. So if you are making the full casserole, suggest using a lot more then a dash of the hot sauce if you want a little zip. I served mine with a fresh fruit salad and blueberry muffins for a very enjoyable brunch!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Please Review My Recipe Tag Game.