Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This savoury rice dish is excellent with chicken or pork, and goes nicely with Mom's Dinner Party Chicken, which, as the name implies, was a dish she prepared only for her dinner guests.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice, washed
- 2 cans consomme
- 10 green onions, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 can button mushrooms or 1 can sliced mushrooms, undrained
- 1 tablespoon oregano (this is not an error)
- Put washed rice in a 2 quart casserole.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Cook, covered, at 350 for 30 minutes; uncover and stir well.
- Replace lid and continue to cook for another 30 minutes.
I made no changes to this wonderful rice recipe. Surprisingly, the oregano makes this dish. I will make this again anytime I have a large gathering again.
I enjoyed this rice, but next time I will leave out the green onions. They just did not seem to "mesh" well with the dish. Also, I used dried oregano in this, but I'm thinking that fresh would have been much better (not as crispy). I loved the mushrooms in this, and the rice itself came out perfect, no crunchy pieces, no mushy pieces, perfectly separated. I did need to add 10 minutes extra of cooking time to allow all the liquid to absorb. I will be making this again, and can imagine all sorts of additions this would be lovely with (dehydrated vegetables, lemon, rosemary, basil, etc...) Thanks!