Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
An all-purpose vegetable casserole.
- 4 cups thawed frozen peas (or fresh)
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the peas, celery, carrots, and onion; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the eggs, milk, flour, salt, and pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened.
- Preheat oven to 350°; butter a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Arrange half the vegetable mixture over the bottom; sprinkle evenly with ½ cup bread crumbs, 1 cup cheese, and half the sauce.
- Repeat with the remaining vegetables, ½ cup bread crumbs, remaining 1 cup cheese, and sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup bread crumbs over the top; drizzle with the melted butter.
- Bake about 35 minutes, until golden brown.