Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I made a good meatloaf,but my son in law said it was to sweet. So, it got me to work on a better Meatloaf. Well, here it is. It's full of flavor,nice texture,and above all not sweet.Makes great sandwiches too!!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half or 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup quick oats
- 3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup redi mix breadcrumbs
- 1 medium size green pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup ketchup
- Mix first 11 ingredients together to form a loaf. Place in pam sprayed roaster.
- Mix sauce ingredients,pour over loaf.
- Bake 350 degrees for 2 hours or 160 degree temperature.
- Cool for 5 minutes before slicing -- .
I've made this several times and it really is a good meatloaf recipe. Since there are only 2 of us, what I do is make the whole recipe and then divide it into two loaves. I cook one that night and wrap the other one well and pop it in the freezer for an easy dinner at a later date. I only use 1 T of sugar in the sauce though, otherwise its way too sweet for our tastes.
I have made this several times and my family loves it. I only use lean ground beef and leave out the pork, also I use a finely chopped onion and a bit of onion powder instead of the dehydrated onion flakes. The peppers, parsley and apple cider vinegar give it a very nice flavour.
YUM!! Made my DH sooo happy!! I'm sure this is excellent made exactly as written, I just switched it up to what I had, etc. and feel I need to note the changes so readers know what I rated my review on. Used 1 lb ground veal, 1 lb ground pork, & 8 oz ground sirloin. (8 oz less ground meat then what recipe called for so I decreased other loaf ingredients just a tad). Used heavy cream, needed to use it up. Ground stuffing crumbs in place of bread, for flavor. Morton's hot salt, for fun. 1/2 of a lg onion, finely chopped in place of green pepper & dried flakes, preference. Increased the sauce so we'd have more to coat each slice (I'm a vinegar lover!) Baked exactly as directed on a rack in a roaster. This was amazing! Sliced better then any meatloaf I've ever made. And will always be my meatloaf recipe. Thanks for posting!