Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
My Grandmother used to fix this when company was coming over, hence the name. This is a very forgiving recipe where amounts of ingredients can be varied to suit different tastes (Want less onion? Want more bacon?It's all good). Also, it can be doubled or tripled without any harm.
- Cut bacon slices cross-ways into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Fry bacon in a sauce pan until just crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan and let drain on paper towels.
- Pour off all but a couple teaspoons of bacon fat.
- Add onion to pan and cook just until translucent and soft.
- If using whole tomatoes, cut them up using a sharp knife while they're still in the can.
- Add tomatoes to the pan along with the drained can of green beans.
- Add bacon and heat until all ingredients are thoroughly heated.
- Serve in small bowls because it's kind of "soupy".
A very nice way to get my kids to eat green beans. I really like the zesty touch of the tomatoes with the bacon and onion. It was very good. Thank you, Knitting Granny.