Recipe by Trinkets
I first saw Rachel Ray cook this then started researching the recipe. The following culmination of ingredients is from Rachel Ray, Epicurious and me :). It is so good you must share it! Serve with pappadums and chutney, and assorted pickles.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tart green apple, peeled, cored, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (preferably Madres)
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, well trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- steamed rice
- chopped fresh cilantro
- toasted unsweetened coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Dredge chicken in flour and garam marsala, salt and pepper.
- Soak currants in white wine.
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Brown chicken pieces slightly and remove to a warm platter.
- Add onion, apple and garlic and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in curry and stir 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth and currents. Reduce heat to low.
- Cover; simmer 30 minutes to mellow flavors.
- Add chicken and simmer until cooked through, about 10 minutes, or unti chicken is cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle chicken over steamed rice.
- Garnish with cilantro and coconut and serve.