Recipe by Tara Simpson
When I was a kid, my mom made us sit and taste biscuit after biscuit searching for the best recipe. This is what we voted as the favorite, and we've all been making them ever since! PERFECT for biscuits and gravy! Or add more sugar and use for strawberry shortcake! YUM
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
Well Tara, your Mom sure had a winner with this one. I've been trying differant biscuit recipes for years trying to find just the right one that would be light, fluffy and still hold up to DH's favorite breakfast of biscuits and gravy. Well, I think my search is over as this is about as perfect as you can get and so easy. I can throw them together right before breaksfast and they come out perfect. Nice towering biscuits that are light and fluffy and hold up to anything. Thanks so much for posting.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Cut in shorting with a pastry blender or a couple butter knives.
- Stir in milk and egg.
- Knead with flour until doughy (not so sticky).
- Roll out 3/4 to 1 inch and cut with biscuit cutter.
- Place close together on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the tops begin to brown.
- (check the bottoms to make sure they're cooked through).
- I usually double this recipe if I'm making them for a main course (biscuits & gravy) or use as is for a dinner bread with the meal.