Recipe by Meredith .F
One of my favorite make-ahead dishes that serves a crowd and everyone loves! Don't be put off by the number of steps-it really is very simple. And the title is true-easily worthy of company.
- 6 large whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, simmer chicken breasts, in a single layer, in chicken broth, covered until chicken is tender and juices run clear (approx. 20 min).
- Remove chicken & cool slightly. Arrange in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups chicken broth for sauce.
- Spoon artichoke hearts over chicken.
- In med. skillet, melt 2 tbsp butter;saute mushrooms and red pepper until all liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
- In small saucepan, melt 1/3 cup margarine;blend in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in reserved chicken broth and half-and-half. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly;boil and stir 1 minute. Gradually stir in Parmesan cheese until melted. Stir in sherry & rosemary;pour sauce over chicken. Sprinkle mushrooms and red pepper evenly over sauce. Refrigerate, covered several hours or overnight.
- To Bake: Heat oven to 325 degrees. Bake covered, 1 hour; uncover and bake until heated through (about 15 min.).