Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
One of my favorite make-ahead dishes that serves a crowd and everyone loves! Don't be put off by the number of steps-it really is very simple. And the title is true-easily worthy of company.
- 6 large whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- In large skillet, simmer chicken breasts, in a single layer, in chicken broth, covered until chicken is tender and juices run clear (approx. 20 min).
- Remove chicken & cool slightly. Arrange in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups chicken broth for sauce.
- Spoon artichoke hearts over chicken.
- In med. skillet, melt 2 tbsp butter;saute mushrooms and red pepper until all liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
- In small saucepan, melt 1/3 cup margarine;blend in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in reserved chicken broth and half-and-half. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly;boil and stir 1 minute. Gradually stir in Parmesan cheese until melted. Stir in sherry & rosemary;pour sauce over chicken. Sprinkle mushrooms and red pepper evenly over sauce. Refrigerate, covered several hours or overnight.
- To Bake: Heat oven to 325 degrees. Bake covered, 1 hour; uncover and bake until heated through (about 15 min.).
Our family loved this! It is very easy to make despite all the steps. We are going to have this again for sure!