Recipe by Sissylu
My grandmother used to make this casserole alot, especially for Sunday dinner. It has always been a family favorite, hope you like it too!
Top Review by amy.cleaveland
I used light sour cream, lowfat cottage cheese, and reduced the amount of grated cheese for a lower fat meal. Delicious! I'm not a huge ground beef fan, so I halved the amount. Be sure to simmer the meat with the sauce; I forgot, and the meat itself turned out a bit bland. The overall taste of the dish was amazing!
- 1 (8 ounce) package egg noodles
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles in salted water; drain.
- Melt butter or margarine and saute green bell pepper.
- Add meat and cook until meat loses its pink color.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic salt and tomato sauce.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, sour cream, onions & noodles.
- Gently mix together.
- Alternate layers of noodles & meat mixture in a 2-qt.
- Top with cheese and bake 30 minutes at 350.