Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
My grandmother used to make this casserole alot, especially for Sunday dinner. It has always been a family favorite, hope you like it too!
- 1 (8 ounce) package egg noodles
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Cook noodles in salted water; drain.
- Melt butter or margarine and saute green bell pepper.
- Add meat and cook until meat loses its pink color.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic salt and tomato sauce.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, sour cream, onions & noodles.
- Gently mix together.
- Alternate layers of noodles & meat mixture in a 2-qt.
- Top with cheese and bake 30 minutes at 350.
I used light sour cream, lowfat cottage cheese, and reduced the amount of grated cheese for a lower fat meal. Delicious! I'm not a huge ground beef fan, so I halved the amount. Be sure to simmer the meat with the sauce; I forgot, and the meat itself turned out a bit bland. The overall taste of the dish was amazing!
I made this and i was a little disapointed in it at first. however the flavors were amazing on the second day, they really blended well and were great left over. Thanks, i will be making this again!!
This is going into our regular rotation of meals. The taste is outstanding... almost like lasagna but so much easier to make. I left out the bell pepper but will try it with next time. Also, didn't have green onions so just used some diced onion. I don't think it took as much prep time as it says, either. Seemed rather quick to me. Anyway, this is a new family favorite. Thank you!