Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love this recipe. My mom used to make it (and still does) everytime there is company. It can be doubled, tripled etc. easily, and everyone loves it. This variation is made just as she makes it-with the exception of the seasoning. Her original recipe has no seasoning, but how can you not season? I also make it with ground chicken breast to save on calories and multi grain pasta-any shape instead of egg noodles. It freezes beautifully, so it is a great make-ahead. I have also been known to mix the noodles and sauce together and then layer. I sometimes double the cheese mixture (because it is sooo good). This is a very forgiving recipe.
- 4 cups egg noodles (1/2 lb)
- 1 lb lean ground chuck
- 1⁄2 lb cottage cheese (1 cup)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon butter (for cooking beef, if desired, I leave it out)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- garlic salt
- ground pepper
- italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions, drain. Saute beef in 1 tsp butter until browned season as desired (garlic salt, pepper). Stir in tomato sauce and remove from heat. Add seasonings as desired.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients except noodles in a separate bowl. Mix well. In a 2 quart casserole spread 1/2 of the noodles; cover with cheese mixture, then the rest of the noodles. Pour the meat-tomato mixture over the top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake for 45 minutes at 375. This freezes well.