Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another down home recipe, this one came from my mother. Cooking times are approximate, each oven is different. Personally, I use 4 or 5 tablespoons of the chili sauce and 3 or 4 shakes of Tobasco sauce. Of course I always add extra cheese! This easy recipe lends itself to being adjusted to suit your tastes. Enjoy
- Cook cabbage in enough water to cover until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Saute onion and bell pepper in margarine.
- Gently place drained cooked cabbage in 13 x 9 casserole.
- Make white sauce using 3 T flour and 2 C milk, add sauted onion and pepper to sauce.
- Spoon white sauce mixture over cabbage and brown in 350 F oven, about 20 minute.
- In small pan mix shredded cheese, 3 T chili sauce, dash of Tobasco sauce and 1/2 C mayonaise, heat on medium until cheese melts. Spoon over cabbage and brown again. About 10 minutes.
I enjoyed this recipe. To suit our tastes, we like our sauces more sparse but thicker so I cut back the milk abit & increased the flour slightly. I can't do mayo so I sub'd yogurt/cream cheese for the mayonnaise. Also used coconut oil for the margarine. I liked the addition of the green peppers & onions and enjoyed the splash of flavour from the chili & hot sauce. Nice recipe, thanks for sharing.