Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A tasty pie with a complex mixture of berries apples and rhubarb
- 5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 cups fresh blueberries or 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 cups raspberries
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb or 2 cups frozen rhubarb, chopped
- 4 cups baking apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- In bowl, combine flour and salt.
- cut in shortening until crumbly.
- Whisk egg, vinegar,& water.
- sprinkle over dry ingredients and toss.
- If needed add more water, tbsp at a time, until dough can be formed into a ball.
- Divide into 4 balls.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- On lightly floured surface, Roll out 2 balls to fit 2-9" pie pans.
- Combine filling ingredients (partially thaw fruit, if necessary) Spoon filling into crusts.
- Roll remaining pastry to fit pies.
- Place over filling.
- Seal and flute the edges.
- Now beat egg yolk and water, Brush over pies.
- Next cut slits in top of crusts.
- Bake at 350f preheated oven for 50-- 60 minutes or until golden brown.