Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
I first had this at an in-laws! I'm not sure where she got the recipe, but I'm assuming it was from Company's Coming. I omit the green peppers as they don't agree with me. Great with fresh fruit. It has also been called "Christmas Morning Wife Saver".
- 14 -16 slices bread, crusts removed
- 1 slice ham
- 1⁄2 lb grated cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 3 cups whole milk
- Using a greased 9" x 13" baking pan, put enough slices of bread to cover bottom of dish.
- Cover bread with thin slices of ham, grated cheese, onions and green pepper.
- Then cover with remaining bread.
- In a large bowl beat eggs, salt, pepper, dry mustard, Worcestershire, Tabasco and milk.
- Pour over bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, melt 1/2 cup butter or margarine and drizzle over the top.
- Cover with crushed Corn Flakes.
- Bake uncovered in 350 F oven for 1 hour.
Christmas Morning Wife Saver is in "Enjoy! More Recipes From The Best of Bridge" Best Of Bridge Publishing Limited, Calgary Alberta. I have always wanted to try this recipe, but never have that many people around for breakfast. I have had something very similar when visiting in Ontario - was very good! It's also often served by B&B hosts.