Recipe by Bonnie MacLeod
I first had this at an in-laws! I'm not sure where she got the recipe, but I'm assuming it was from Company's Coming. I omit the green peppers as they don't agree with me. Great with fresh fruit. It has also been called "Christmas Morning Wife Saver".
Top Review by JRH
Christmas Morning Wife Saver is in "Enjoy! More Recipes From The Best of Bridge" Best Of Bridge Publishing Limited, Calgary Alberta. I have always wanted to try this recipe, but never have that many people around for breakfast. I have had something very similar when visiting in Ontario - was very good! It's also often served by B&B hosts.
- 14 -16 slices bread, crusts removed
- 1 slice ham
- 1⁄2 lb grated cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 3 cups whole milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a greased 9" x 13" baking pan, put enough slices of bread to cover bottom of dish.
- Cover bread with thin slices of ham, grated cheese, onions and green pepper.
- Then cover with remaining bread.
- In a large bowl beat eggs, salt, pepper, dry mustard, Worcestershire, Tabasco and milk.
- Pour over bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, melt 1/2 cup butter or margarine and drizzle over the top.
- Cover with crushed Corn Flakes.
- Bake uncovered in 350 F oven for 1 hour.