Recipe by Judy from Hawaii
This is adapted from a Farm Journal cookbook & really is good enough to serve to company.
Top Review by Marie
This was so good! I had a recipe similar to this many years ago and have no idea where it is. I was so glad to find and make it again. I love stews in the oven - no stirring or watching and the meat comes out so tender. Thanks for posting this great recipe - I'll know where to find it next time.
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into small cubes
- 1⁄8 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes, cut up
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 medium carrots, peeled &,cut into strips
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled &,cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef cubes in hot oil in a large skillet.
- Add onions, tomatoes, tapioca, beef broth, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Turn into a 3 quart casserole& cover.
- Bake at 350F for one hour, 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and celery.
- Continue baking for one more hour or till vegetables are tender.