Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This needs to be prepared the night before. Its very good.
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 potatoes, cut in pieces
- 3 tablespoons fat or 3 tablespoons oil, to brown
- 1⁄2 cup celery, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 4 medium carrots, cut in 1 inch slices
- 4 small onions, cut in half
- Shake beef with flour and salt in a paper bag.
- Brown in fat, or oil.
- Place in a 4 quart dutch oven and cover with water and tomatoe sauce.
- Simmer 2 hours.
- Place garlic and all the herbs on a square of cheesecloth and tie tightly. Add to the dutch oven along with the potatoes, celery, and peas.
- Melt butter with sugar in skillet, add onions and carrots. Cook on medium heat stirring until well glazed.
- Add to meat mixture.
- Cook until the vegies are tender; check every 30 minutes however this could take 1 -2 hours.
- Remove herb bag.
- Place in refridgerator overnight.
- Reheat in oven at 350 until heated through about 20-30 minutes.
is a really nice stew,great reciepe as usual