Prep 2 hrs
Cook 10 mins
Bread we use in our Holy Communion services at church. *** The dough can be made in a bread machine, but will still be cooked in the oven. Follow the direction for your machine when adding the ingrediants and use the dough setting.
- 7⁄8 cup warm water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet yeast
- 1 1⁄3 cups white flour
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole wheat flour
- In a bowl dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Stir in honey, oil and salt.
- Add flour and mix with hands.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead for 5 minuets.
- When elastic, place dough in a bowl and cover lightly with plastic wrap.
- Let dough rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured board and knead a few times.
- Roll to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut into 4 inch rounds (a coffee can works well for this).
- Score deeply with a sharp knife or pastry knife in a cross shape, cutting almost to the bottom.
- Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake at 375 for 10 to 12 minuets.
- The bread WILL NOT brown noticeably, so it should not be baked longer then that.