Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Commonwealth Club is one of the oldest, and most prestigous, clubs in Richmond.
- 8 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup regular granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1 cup half-and-half, scalded
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 teaspoons granulated raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F In a medium bowl, thoroughly beat egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar, salt and nutmeg. Stirring constantly, pour in scalded milk and half and half. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into 6 custard cups. Pour enough hot water into a 9x13" pan to a depth of 1".
- Place custard cups in pan. Bake in preheated oven until a knife inserted 1" from edge of custard cups comes out clean, 40-50 minute Remove pan from oven and cups from pan. Let cool, then chill.
- Before serving, preheat broiler. Divide granulated raw sugar evenly and sprinkle on tops of custards to coat surface. Put under broiler until sugar is melted. Makes 6 servings.
I have had this at the colony club and it was much better than mine.. Mine had a lovely vinalla flavor but I had overcooked it. I did 46 min and about 40 would be about right. The after taste was great . I can't wait to try it again.