Recipe by Aroostook
This unleavened biscuit is just right for chowder... I sometimes use cream in place of milk for a richer cracker. If you do, use more than a cup..add liquid until mixture is sticky.
Top Review by Pilgrim_404674891
I'm giving this 5 stars because the finished product is excellent. Being from New England and no loner being able to get common crackers nor Nabisco Pilot Crackers made my chowders incomplete. My only issue is whoever said there was 15 minute prep time had to be superman or women. I'm a pretty good baker and have every appliance you could think of and it still took me 45 minutes to prep. Worth it? You bet. I'll make these again.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup plus milk
- plus extra milk, to brush on crackers
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together flour, salt and sugar.
- Cut in butter until mixture has the consistency of corm meal.
- Stir in enough milk to make a stiff dough.
- Roll to 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured board.
- Cut into 3-4 inch rounds.
- Prick surface with a fork.
- Brush surface with milk.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake in a 425°F oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Split crackers and serve with chowder.