Recipe by CAREBEARCOOKING
This is a soup that has comfort food written all over it! My husband loves it so I can say that it is good enough to share. Made during a cool, fall or winter evening is ideal. I do hope that you enjoy.
Top Review by cookinpossum
This soup was very good. I made it as written except for the fire-roasted tomatoes, which I don't like so I used stewed tomatoes instead and I left out the red-pepper flakes. I was very liberal with the black pepper and added some salt, too
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 10 small red potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup flour
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and broken up
- black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, carrots, celery, potatoes and garlic in butter for about 10 minute.
- Add flour, stir and cook for about a minute.
- Add chicken stock and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Add milk and heavy whipping cream.
- Cook for 15-20 minute Stir in cheese until it melts, add bacon. Serve and enjoy!