Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This is a soup that has comfort food written all over it! My husband loves it so I can say that it is good enough to share. Made during a cool, fall or winter evening is ideal. I do hope that you enjoy.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 10 small red potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup flour
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and broken up
- black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Saute onion, carrots, celery, potatoes and garlic in butter for about 10 minute.
- Add flour, stir and cook for about a minute.
- Add chicken stock and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Add milk and heavy whipping cream.
- Cook for 15-20 minute Stir in cheese until it melts, add bacon. Serve and enjoy!
This soup was very good. I made it as written except for the fire-roasted tomatoes, which I don't like so I used stewed tomatoes instead and I left out the red-pepper flakes. I was very liberal with the black pepper and added some salt, too
DH made this for the family and we all enjoyed it. He did not cut the potatoes into small enough chunks though. Will be making this soup again!
wow i LOVE this recipe! Its a must try for anyone reading! I made it as written only without the red-pepperflakes and celary and it was amazing! a little salt was good too! Thankyou for posting this recipe!!