Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Pure comfort food on a cold winter's day. This soup has great flavor.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 quart water
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- In large pot, cook potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In same pot, saute onions in butter until soft.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese and dry mustard.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Gently stir in cooked vegetables.
- Add 1/2 cup or more of reserved cooking liquids until soup is desired consistency.