1 hr 10 mins
Healthy Jewish comfort food is usually an oxymoron. This is actually healthy for you, and delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1To make the dough, beat together mashed potatoes, oil, and salt.
- 2Add the flour and baking powder and mix well.
- 3Mix in the water and knead into a smooth dough.
- 4Let rest on a board, covered with a cloth, for 1/2 hour.
- 5To make the filling, sautè the onions in oil until transparent.
- 6Mix together with the rest of the filling ingredients.
- 7Cut the dough into 4 sections, then roll each section as thin as possible (about 1/16-inch thick).
- 8Cut into 5 x 6-inch rectangles.
- 9Place 2 or 3 tTablspoons of the filling in the middle of each rectangle.
- 10Fold the sides in first, then the ends.
- 11Place folded side down on an oiled cookie sheet.
- 12Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes, or until golden.
- 13Serve with mustard.
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Comforting Knishes
Serving Size: 1 (1626 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.6
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.7 mg
- Sodium 443.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 5.0 g