Recipe by JackieOhNo!
This is a holiday tradition in our house, usually served on Christmas. Even those who don't care for these vegetables seem to like this tasty side dish. I also like it because it is fast, and it is prepared on the stove top, which helps free up the desperately-need holiday oven!
Top Review by Debbwl
Comforting is the perfect way to describe this tasty side. We really enjoyed the use of fresh dill in the cream sauce. Start cooking and found out I was out of white flour so used whole wheat flour and 1% milk. This is a side that will be made again. Thanks for the post.
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen peas and carrots
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare peas and carrots according to the package directions, adding the sugar.
- While peas and carrots cook, melt butter in a medium saucepan and then add flour, salt and pepper to form a roux. Cook for about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk over medium heat and bring to a boil. Boil for about 1 minute, stirring constantly, then add dill and cook until thickened and bubbly.
- When peas and carrots are cooked, drain them and place in your serving bowl. Pour cream sauce over vegetables and stir to thoroughly combine. Serve.