Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Serve with a crusty bread and you have a wonderful fall and winter meal. I do not like cilantro so I sub parsley. The recipe is from Southern Living.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- shredded cheddar cheese or sour cream or sliced green onions or cooked and crumbled bacon
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add chicken and next 3 ingredients, and saute 10 minutes.
- Stir in broth and next 3 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cans of beans and chiles.
- Mash remaining can of beans in a small bowl.
- Whisk together flour and milk, and stir into beans.
- Gradually add bean mixture to soup mixture, stirring constantly.
- Cook 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, and stir in cilantro.
- Serve with desired toppings.
This soup was fabulous. Really easy to prepare and had the ingredients on hand. Only chages I made were to add a touch more red pepper flakes as we like it hot and added hot green green chllies also. Really, a super dish.
This soup was wonderful! I think mashing the can of beans gave it so much flavor! It really kept getting better with each reheating. Thanks so much!