Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
The Comfort Diner, Ira Freehof
Make and share this Comforting Chicken Pot Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 4 chicken breasts (6-8 oz. each)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups small-dice carrots
- 1 cup small-dice celery
- 1 cup small-dice red onion
- 2 cups medium-dice red potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken stock
- white pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°; bring a large pot of water to a boil; boil the chicken for 10 minutes until cooked through; be careful not to overcook the chicken as it will be cooked more later.
- While the chicken is cooking, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat; saute carrots, celery, onion, and potatoes for 5 minutes; again, be careful to avoid overcooking.
- Remove vegetables from pan and set them aside in a large bowl.
- When the chicken has cooked, remove from the water and drain; slice chicken into bite-size pieces.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the remaining ¼ cup butter; sprinkle the flour over the butter.
- Stir gently and frequently for 2-3 minutes, until the flour is absorbed and the bubbling mixture is lightly golden.
- Add in heavy cream and chicken stock; mix thoroughly; simmer 10 minutes, then add the chicken and sauteed vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper; simmer for 20 minutes more.
- Pour the mixture into a 9-inch pie pan and add the frozen peas.
- Roll out the puff pastry so it is 2 inches larger than the pie pan; place it over the pan and tuck down the edges into the pan.
- Cut a few slits on top of the pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.