1 hr 45 mins
The Comfort Diner, Ira Freehof
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken breasts (6-8 oz. each)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups small-dice carrots
- 1 cup small-dice celery
- 1 cup small-dice red onion
- 2 cups medium-dice red potatoes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken stock
- white pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1Preheat oven to 350°; bring a large pot of water to a boil; boil the chicken for 10 minutes until cooked through; be careful not to overcook the chicken as it will be cooked more later.
- 2While the chicken is cooking, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat; saute carrots, celery, onion, and potatoes for 5 minutes; again, be careful to avoid overcooking.
- 3Remove vegetables from pan and set them aside in a large bowl.
- 4When the chicken has cooked, remove from the water and drain; slice chicken into bite-size pieces.
- 5In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the remaining ¼ cup butter; sprinkle the flour over the butter.
- 6Stir gently and frequently for 2-3 minutes, until the flour is absorbed and the bubbling mixture is lightly golden.
- 7Add in heavy cream and chicken stock; mix thoroughly; simmer 10 minutes, then add the chicken and sauteed vegetables.
- 8Season with salt and pepper; simmer for 20 minutes more.
- 9Pour the mixture into a 9-inch pie pan and add the frozen peas.
- 10Roll out the puff pastry so it is 2 inches larger than the pie pan; place it over the pan and tuck down the edges into the pan.
- 11Cut a few slits on top of the pastry to allow steam to escape.
- 12Bake for about 40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Comforting Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 789.7
- Calories from Fat 476
- Total Fat 52.9 g
- Saturated Fat 23.5 g
- Cholesterol 151.5 mg
- Sodium 477.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 31.5 g