Recipe by luvmybge
There is nothing that says comfort food like a nice hot plate of chicken croquettes with mashed potatoes and gravy. This is such a plain and simple recipe, but it tastes sooo good! I use my food processor to chop the cooked chicken along with the onion and parsley.. I just pulse it a few times and it's ready. (Sorry for shouting the recipe to you.. lol)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat.
- blend in flour, salt and pepper.
- cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- remove from heat.
- stir in milk.
- heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- boil and stir 1 minute.
- prepare thick white sauce.
- stir in meat, 1 tablespoon minced onion and the parsley.
- season with salt and pepper.
- spread mixture in ungreased square pan, 8x8x2 inches (or any pan for that matter), but you want to use a shallow pan to the mixture can completely cool to make it easier to handle.
- cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- mix egg and water.
- shape croquettes (i use a 1/4 or 1/3-cup measuring cup to scoop out the mixture for the croquettes) and dip in egg, and then breadcrumbs to cover.
- chill again.
- heat fat or oil (3-4 inches) to 365 degrees in deep fat fryer or kettle.
- fry croquettes in hot fat 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until light brown.
- keep warm in 350 degree oven until serving time.