Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mom and grammie used to make this for me as a little girl. For me, there is no better comfort food. It really is more flavorful if you use bone-in pieces.
- 2 cups medium grain rice, uncooked
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 40 ounces water (use the soup can to measure the water)
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packets dry onion soup mix
- 6 chicken pieces
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Place rice in dish. Combine soup, water and soup mix and pour over rice. Stir to loosely combine.
- Place chicken on top and gently press down into liquid (does not need to be totally covered). Season with black pepper.
- Cover and bake at 350° for about 1 hour, or until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.
- Note: This is more flavorful if made with bone-in chicken. It can also be made with pork chops.
- ***Decrease the water by 1 can if using long grain rice***.
I made this last night and really enjoyed how creamy the rice turned out. I used bone in thighs. Thanks for a good recipe! Made for PAC (Pick A Chef 2008).