Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb kielbasa or 1 lb smoked ham, in small chunks (I like to use Mr. Sausage from the Co-op's freezer section)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canmuir glen diced tomatoes, including juice
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 bunch broccoli, stems peeled and chopped fine,florets chopped (about 1 1/4 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1⁄4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a heavy soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the meat chunks.
- Sauté until lightly golden.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and chicken broth, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Add the broccoli pieces and return to the boil, then lower to simmer and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes or until the broccoli stems are tender.
- Ladle the soup into warm bowls and add a big pinch of hot pepper flakes if you like.
- Sprinkle parsley and Parmesan over each bowl and serve immediately.