1/1 Photo of Comforting Beef Stew...just Like Grandma Used to Make
2 hrs 15 mins
Laura & Shawn's Note:
My husband & I were feeling under the weather & longing for some comforting hot soup. I started craving my friend's grandmother's home made stew but couldn't get a hold of her, so I just threw together some ingredients that sounded good. My husband & I REALLY enjoyed it. I served it w/ hot home made bread. It truly satisfied our craving & did wonders for our cold.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18 g beef tip roast (cut into bite size cubes)
- 473.18 ml stewed tomatoes (16 oz.)
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 828.06 ml beef broth (Swansons or any beef broth will do, 32 oz)
- 3 medium russet potatoes (peeled & diced)
- 3 medium red potatoes (peeled & diced)
- 1 medium yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 2 medium onions (diced)
- 1 large carrot (finely chopped)
- 2 large carrots (thickly sliced)
- 59.14 ml celery (finely chopped)
- 3 celery (thickly sliced)
- 473.18 ml baby portabella mushrooms (cubed) (optional)
- 118.29 ml frozen green pea (optional)
- 14.78 ml garlic (minced)
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 14.79 ml kosher salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 14.79 ml fresh Italian parsley (finely chopped)
- 1Heat olive oil on medium low in Dutch oven or big soup pot.
- 2Pour flour into plastic bag (1 gallon).
- 3Place cubed meat inside & shake vigorously.
- 4Swirl meat w/ wooden spoon to coat thoroughly.
- 5Pour meat & finely chopped onion into Dutch oven.
- 6Wait approximately 1.5 minutes then add 2 tsp of garlic,.
- 7remaining flour, salt & pepper. Stir until browned.
- 8(Be careful not to burn the garlic).
- 9Add finely chopped carrots, finely chopped celery, diced onions & stir.
- 10Add broth, potatoes, diced onions, remaining garlic, parsley, thyme, basil, then stir.
- 11Bring to a boil, stir & reduce heat to low. Cover & simmer for 1.5 hours, stirrin frequently (approx. every 20-30 minutes.).
- 12Add stewed tomatoes, sliced carrots & celery. Stir thoroughly & cook for 25 minutes.
- 13Add mushrooms and peas (if applicable) and stir. Cook for 5 minutes.
- 14Spoon soup into bowls & serve w/ toasted sourdough or french bread w/ butter.
- 15Allow to cool slightly before eating. (Soup will be scalding hot.) Enjoy :0).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Comforting Beef Stew...just Like Grandma Used to Make
Serving Size: 1 (471 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.9
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 74.0 mg
- Sodium 1373.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 28.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef tip roast