Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My husband & I were feeling under the weather & longing for some comforting hot soup. I started craving my friend's grandmother's home made stew but couldn't get a hold of her, so I just threw together some ingredients that sounded good. My husband & I REALLY enjoyed it. I served it w/ hot home made bread. It truly satisfied our craving & did wonders for our cold.
- 2 lbs beef tip roast (cut into bite size cubes)
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes (16 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef broth (Swansons or any beef broth will do, 32 oz)
- 3 medium russet potatoes (peeled & diced)
- 3 medium red potatoes (peeled & diced)
- 1 medium yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 2 medium onions (diced)
- 1 large carrot (finely chopped)
- 2 large carrots (thickly sliced)
- 1⁄4 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 3 celery (thickly sliced)
- 2 cups baby portabella mushrooms (cubed) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea (optional)
- 3 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley (finely chopped)
- Heat olive oil on medium low in Dutch oven or big soup pot.
- Pour flour into plastic bag (1 gallon).
- Place cubed meat inside & shake vigorously.
- Swirl meat w/ wooden spoon to coat thoroughly.
- Pour meat & finely chopped onion into Dutch oven.
- Wait approximately 1.5 minutes then add 2 tsp of garlic,.
- remaining flour, salt & pepper. Stir until browned.
- (Be careful not to burn the garlic).
- Add finely chopped carrots, finely chopped celery, diced onions & stir.
- Add broth, potatoes, diced onions, remaining garlic, parsley, thyme, basil, then stir.
- Bring to a boil, stir & reduce heat to low. Cover & simmer for 1.5 hours, stirrin frequently (approx. every 20-30 minutes.).
- Add stewed tomatoes, sliced carrots & celery. Stir thoroughly & cook for 25 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and peas (if applicable) and stir. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Spoon soup into bowls & serve w/ toasted sourdough or french bread w/ butter.
- Allow to cool slightly before eating. (Soup will be scalding hot.) Enjoy :0).
A delicious stew, Liked that it didn't have wine in it. (I enjoy that along side) Served with Brown and Serve Rolls Brown and Serve Rolls. A wonderful winter meal. Thanks for sharing.