Recipe by evelyn/athens
This is the vegetarian version of a soup I recently posted. I made it up the other day and it is real comfort food. Hearty and healthy - it makes a big pot and that's a good thing as you'll want more than one bowl.
Top Review by filaughn
Tasty and easy! I threw in a can of corn I had sitting around, and substituted broth for about half of the water. I used canned chickpeas and that cut down on the time.
Perfect soup for a cold winter day!
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 2 large fat garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb chickpeas, soaked for 9-12 hours (I used the pre-peeled ones)
- 5 large carrots, grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, garlic and olive oil together until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the chickpeas, carrots, tomato paste, bay leaf and 1 1/2 quarts water. Season to taste.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, covered for 1/2 an hour. Add the pearl barley and simmer for another 40-60 minutes, or until the chickpeas and barley are cooked through and the soup is quite thick (if the soup is too thick, thin with a little hot water until you achieve the consistency you desire).
- This was a really satisfying meal with a tossed green salad and garlic bread.