This simple soup is a savory dish passed on to me by a childhood friend's mother. She raised 6 kids and knew how to please a hungry crowd (the boys are all over 6'5") on a tight budget in a hurry! Soup is comforting but I have found this one to be especially soothing to body and soul. UPDATE: the meat juices are what make the flavor of the broth, so if the beef is too lean (or not enough is used), there won't be an oily sheen to the soup, which is what gives it the wonderful taste.
- Heat chicken broth to boiling.
- Meanwhile, combine beef, cheese and pepper.
- Knead lightly to mix but don't overdo it.
- Roll into 1 inch meatballs.
- Drop meatballs into boiling broth and reduce heat to simmering (medium low usually).
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Serve with french bread if you have it.